Adding images to your menu items is a good way to customize your menu. It helps a visitor to immediately identify what kind of page your menu item links to. For example, a menu item linking to your archive page might be better with a calendar icon before the label. Plus, it’s just visually appealing if done right.
Icon Images on Menu Labels
It’s quite easy to add an image to your menu items by using emojis as it’s just a simple copy and paste operation. Though take note that it would be a good idea to use icons with colors that either match or complement your site’s theme.
- Go to your WordPress admin area.
- Go to Appearance -> Menus then select the menu you want to edit.
- Click on your target Menu Item then edit its Navigation Label.
- Go to any Emoji indexing site. (Example: emojipedia.org)
- Search for the type of image you want to add.
(In my example I found a Bicycle icon for my Cycling Menu Item.)
- Copy the image then paste on the Navigation Label on your Menu Page.
(Most of these emoji websites have a copy function you can use.)